SEISMOLOGY is the study of earth crust and physical structure such as continental plates and underground geological information. It is the study of earthquakes, their formation and the factors causing tremors and seismic movements. Pakistan Meteorological department hold the responsibility for seismic monitoring and Tsunami early warning in Pakistan Regional Seismic section Lahore located in Regional Meteorological Center Lahore. It is the liability of the PMD to disseminate earthquake information to Government, non Government organization and to public after the occurrence of any event. During the past few years PMD has enhanced multifold its abilities to monitor seismic activity. Since 2005, PMD upgraded and replaced all analogue seismic equipment with state of the art technology that has improved digital data processing and analysis time and frequency domain within two to three minutes after the occurrence of any earthquake.
SEISMIC FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES
- To detect and locate earthquakes with the help IT equipment and softwares.
- To analysis and interpret Seismic data.
- Real Time Seismic monitoring 24/7 and events reporting within few minutes of event occurrence.
- Preparation of monthly Seismic reports.
- Evaluate Seismicity in different parts of country.
- Provide assistance to students in seismological studies.
- Provide Seismic data services to builder’s engineers and planners.